HVAC energy efficiency tips
Ask yourself these questions to find out how you can make your home this summer more HVAC energy efficient:
- What size heat pump do I need to replace my unit?
- Is my ductwork leaking air?
- How do programmable thermostats save energy?
- What’s the best kind of air filter for energy efficiency?
- What is a variable speed heat pump?
HVAC energy efficiency tips
Ultimately, the best path to comfort and savings is finding an air conditioning unit that actually fits your home. One that isn’t powerful enough won’t effectively cool your home and will inflate your power bill. One that is too powerful will work too quickly, shutting off before most of the humidity has been removed, leaving you cool but clammy.
Is my ductwork leaking air?
Keep conditioned air in and unwanted temperature air out. Leaky, uninsulated ductwork wastes huge amounts of energy and money. Use duct wrap insulation for a quick fix with a big, immediate payoff. Uninsulated ducts that run through unconditioned spaces can lose more than 30 percent of their heating or cooling capacity. So you’ll save money by insulating them.
Have your ductwork inspected by a professional HVAC technician to test for leakage, then based on that information, make necessary repairs to meet / exceed performance standards.
If your ductwork does need repairs, don’t skip the repairs and install a ductless mini split unit instead. Then you’ll be paying for two different units to cool your home! This would create an imbalanced system, which can create pockets of warm air when it should be cooling your home.
Symptoms of poorly performing ducts:
- rooms that seem to never really feel warm or cool
- rooms that feel stuffy
- dust and dirt coat your stuff when the air comes out of the vents
- tangled or kinked flexible ducts
- ducts that are located in an attic, crawl space, or garage
- higher utility bills
If you have noticed these symptoms, you need an HVAC technician to come out to inspect your ductwork.
The average household spends more than $2,000 a year on energy bills. Nearly half of that goes toward heating and cooling your home. You can save about $180 a year by properly installing and setting a programmable thermostat.
A programmable thermostat offers settings to regulate your home’s temperature to deliver savings without sacrificing comfort. Depending on your family’s schedule, you can see significant savings by sticking with those settings or adjust them as appropriate for your family.
High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance (HEPA) air filter
If you are looking for efficiency, the High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance (HEPA) filter is your best choice. A HEPA air filter will remove almost all allergens from the air that passes through your heat and air conditioning equipment by trapping particles in the deepest point of its thick pleated surface area encompassing roughly 7 pleats per inch. Yet, if not maintained properly it can restrict airflow through your heat and air conditioning unit. Unlike most other filters, you can clean and reuse HEPA filters.
What is a variable speed heat pump?
With a variable speed compressor, the heat pump continues to run gently maintaining fresh air and a comfortable temperature.
Plus, with a 20.5 SEER efficiency and a built-in dehumidifier, you can enjoy even the hottest of summer days.
Easiest fix for energy efficiency is as simple as tuning up your air conditioning unit.
Up to 50% of your home’s energy bill is from cooling your home, so when it’s not running correctly, you’re losing money to the power company and needlessly draining energy resources.
- Energy savings: Properly maintained heat pump reduces your electric bill.
- Increased system life: The number one reason for system failure is surprisingly simply dirt clogging important parts. A heat pump tune up causes your unit to last longer, so you won’t have to replace an entire unit prematurely.
- Correct health risks: Freshly replaced air filters catch dust, dander, bacteria, and particles.
- Peace of mind: Our highly trained and through technicians keep the temperature in your home comfortable for you and your family throughout the year.
- Unplanned breakdowns from improper maintenance, just like your car.
- Condenser coils get clogged with dust, dirt, pollen, and other debris. When that happens, the condenser coil loses its ability to pull air from the unit. Then, the compressor has to work hard causing a higher electric bill.
- Dirty filters can cause the evaporator coil to starve for air. Each evaporator coil is designed for a specific volume of air to ensure adequate operation.
- Lack of professional maintenance on your cooling system can mean failure of the unit’s compressor, condenser fan, and other system components. A malfunction of a single component will overwork your unit. To illustrate this point, 80% of all compressor failures could have been avoided if a proper maintenance had been performed.
Learn more about summer energy efficiency
You're important to us
Experience the professional and excellent customer service with Leinbach Services, Inc.
- Award winning customer service
- No hidden fees because our technicians provide a written estimate of the cost before project begins.
- We take the wait out of service by calling an hour before arriving.
- You'll never have to clean up after our technicians.
100% satisfaction money back guarantee
If you aren't satisfied with your new heating and air conditioning system, we'll either repair the problem to your satisfaction or remove it and refund the purchase price. Within one year of purchase date. All of this is subject to the conditions and limitations listed on our 100% satisfaction money back guarantee page.
Affordable payment options
Start the credit approval process today with only a 15 minute phone call to our dispatcher. Get pre-approved for the most affordable payment options for your budget through our incredibly easy financing. We also accept all major credit cards.